- Fund Humboldt – Crowdfunding is pretty awesome! Fund Humboldt offers a way for people seeking money to earn it through donations from the community. Simply post a project and then promote it to your friends and family and through your social networks!
- Direct Public Offering – A DPO is similar to an initial public offering (IPO) in that stock is sold to investors, but unlike an IPO, a company uses a DPO to raise capital directly and without the assistance of an investment banking firm or broker-dealer. Following registration with the Securities and Exchange Commission and subject to compliance with state blue sky laws, a company can sell its shares directly to anyone, including customers, employees, suppliers, distributors, family, friends and others…. (thanks Wikipedia… for more info on DPOs click here). A DPO is kind of like crowdfunding, your friends and neighbors get invest their money locally in your vision!
- Local Banks and Credit Unions – The most conventional means to get a loan is through a bank or a Credit Unions. They generally seek lower risk investments, and generally only do debt financing (meaning they will charge interest on their loan and you must pay back the money).
Redwood Capital – A local bank. The interest that is charged on your loan won’t leave the county! That’s a good thing!
Coast Central Credit Union – Credit Unions are like banks, but they are technically owned by the people whose money is being held (a bank + a coop = a credit union).
Northern Redwood Credit Union – Another local credit union! Another door to knock on if you’re seeking cash to make something happen!
- More Local Organizations that Loan Money – There are other groups to ask. They take slightly higher risks than the banks generally will, and they too prefer to do debt financing:
Redwood Region Economic Development Commission – Can help you get funded with a small business loan
Arcata Economic Development Corporation – Can help you get funded through a small business loan
Headwaters Fund – loans and micro-grants. Grants don’t have to be paid back so might as well see if you qualify for one!
- Grants – Grants are nice… you don’t have to pay them back! They aren’t extremely common for for-profit ventures, but it doesn’t hurt to call.